The ETA system was introduced in 1996. It provides authorization to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport. While checking in at the airport for your Australian-bound flight, the check-in staff can electronically confirm that you have authority to board the flight to Australia. The Australian ETA is available to citizens of over 50 countries.
The ETA is an electronically-stored authority for travel to Australia for short-term tourist or business visits and for applicants outside Australia. It replaces the visa label or stamp in a passport and reduces the need for travelers to visit an Australian Embassy. The Australian ETA allows the holder to travel to Australia as many times as required within the validity period which is 1 year after today. The maximum length of each visit is 90 days Per Entry
Required Documents to Apply
A current valid passport with at least 6-month validity
A credit or debit card.
- The Australian ETA visa is a multiple entry 1 year after today visa allowing a maximum of 90 days Per Entry.
- You are permitted to stay beyond your visa’s validity date, but not beyond the 90 days Per Entry
- Your ETA does not allow you to work within Australia. The ETA only allows business-visitor activity.
- If you have a long name or multiple given names, only the first 24 letters will appear on your visa.
- People with dual nationality should choose the nationality according to the passport to be used for the travel.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of your arrival in Australia and must be an ordinary or regular passport.
- Your ETA visa is electronically linked to your passport number. There is no stamp or label in your passport.
- As the holder of a 1 year after today ETA visa you can study for a maximum of 90 days Per Entry
- If you obtain a new passport for any reason, you will need to re-apply for a new Australian ETA.
- The ETA visa is valid through to the expiry date listed within it, which is the last day you have the authority to enter Australia.
- This expiration date of the Australian ETA will be either 1 year after today, the expiration of your passport, or earlier if a current
- visa already exists in the immigration system. For example, if your ETA approval is on July 2019, but your passport expiration is in
- March 2020, your ETA will expire on the same date of your passport; otherwise it will expire in July 2020.